Bow is a weapon which consists in a rope and a curved stick. It was used to throw arrows at a high speed in order to hit and/or pierce an enemy. We can affirm that it has been used by every single civilization and nowadays it is mostly a sports tool.
Bow's Characteristics and evolution
Bow is made of an elastic rope besides of a curved and tough stick which can not be broken when we throw an arrow.
The first ones had an elastic rope made of animal's skins or tough plants and the stick was made of ash. Later those production techniques improved and materials too.
Pieces which goal was to increase arrows' speed and precision were added. We must take into account that bows were invented during the Stone Age and nowadays we can appreciate them in a huge number of sports competition.
In relation to the arrows, firstly they had in their base wood and in their points stones or bones. Afterwards stabilisings were added to their back part, which one were made of birds' feathers. That same arrow point was made of metal during XIXth century, and now they swho a carbone fiber, plastic stabilizers and a metal point.
We can afirm that bow was initially conceived as a hunting tool; but given that it allowed to hurt or kill the enemy from long distance their uses have changed throughout years.
Bow pros and cons
Here you are a list of the main advantages and disadvantages related to bows:
- To hit the enemy from a long distance withouth giving him the chance to fight back (infanntry and cavalry) what created a numerical superiority in the battlefield.
- To create fires in order to block the enemy troops progress, by means of firing arrows.
- To kill the enemy with a single a precise hit.
- To handle the bow are required numerous skills.
- The process of throwing an arrow is very slow.
- The number of arrows was really limited and the archer usually had also a secondary weapon.
Archers are warriors who used bows as their main weapon. They also carried a short sword or a dagger as a secondary weapon. They also wore a helmet which protected the back part of the neck and sometimes the face besides of a quiver full of arrows and a bracelt to protect the arm which held the bow.
Those warriors/archers usually were placed in different zones of the battlefield:
- Above the castles' walls, shooting arrows.
- In the rearguard next to the infantry.
- Riding horses.
We have at your disposal a huge variety of bows. They are made of best quality materials although they are merely decorative.
In our site you will be able to find the classic archer's indumentary and some other items that could be used for shooting competitions. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.